Student Complaint Procedures

Students enrolled in University of Miami courses or programs should follow the University's complaint procedures as described in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook and the University's Academic Bulletin. If you are unable to resolve your complaint within the University, you may contact the state agency below:

State Contact Information

Office of Articulation

Department of Education


Out-of-state distance education students who have completed the above grievance processes may appeal non-instructional complaints to the FL-SARA PRDEC Council. For additional information on this process, visit the FL-SARA Student Concerns website.

If you wish to file a complaint against the University of Miami with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, download the SACSCOC "Complaint Procedures against the Commission or its Accredited Institutions" policy and form.

Last updated March 5, 2024.